[Bioc-devel] Changes in AnnotationDbi

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Fri Jun 5 17:37:21 CEST 2015

I agree that a warning is probably not the way to go, as it does imply that
there might have been something wrong with either the input or output.
Plus, not everybody understands the distinction between error and warning.

And having additional documentation can't possibly hurt. But that assumes
that most/some/all of the end users both peruse and understand the
documentation, which we all know is not the case. The main issue, for me at
least, is that a significant proportion of people seem to think there is
some sort of uniqueness imposed on things like Entrez Gene IDs and Hugo
symbols, etc. While that is the ultimate goal, we do not have and maybe
never will achieve unique IDs for each annotatable object.

I used to work for a PI who was a very smart, well informed statistical
geneticist who was absolutely shocked when I informed her that a) there are
SNPs in dbSNP that have more than one RS ID, and that b.) there are RS IDs
in dbSNP that have been assigned to multiple SNPs. She just assumed that
there was a one-to-one RS ID -> SNP mapping.

So this is to me the crux of the problem. It is perfectly valid to return
one-to-many mappings, and that is what should be expected *by those of us
who already understand such things. *But for those of us who are ignorant
of the details, and those who assume uniqueness of IDs, it would be really
nice if they got a message telling them something like

*Please note that there are one-to-many mappings between the input and
output IDs, so the output is longer than your input vector. Please see
?select for more detail.*

And if the message is objectionable to some, you could give the option for
people to set a global flag to shut it off. Something like

if(!pleaseMakeItStop)
  message(<message goes here>)

and they could set

pleaseMakeItStop = TRUE in their .Rprofile

Is that a reasonable compromise?

Jim