[Bioc-devel] Gene annotation: TxDb vs ENSEMBL/NCBI inconsistency

Robert M. Flight rflight79 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 15:56:29 CEST 2015

Ludwig,

If you do this search on the UCSC genome browser (which this annotation
package is built from), you will see that the longest variant is what is
shown

http://genome.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/hgTracks?clade=mammal&org=Human&db=hg38&position=brca1&hgt.positionInput=brca1&hgt.suggestTrack=knownGene&Submit=submit&hgsid=429339723_8sd4QD2jSAnAsa6cVCevtoOy4GAz&pix=1885

If instead of "genes" you do "transcripts", you will see 20 different
transcripts for this gene, including the one listed by NCBI.

I havent tried it yet (haven't upgraded R or bioconductor to latest
version), but there is now an Ensembl based annotation package as well,
that may work better??
http://bioconductor.org/packages/release/data/annotation/html/EnsDb.Hsapiens.v79.html

-Robert