[Bioc-devel] Wishlist: on demand R CMD check

Kasper Daniel Hansen kasperdanielhansen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 05:09:51 CEST 2015

For a substantial number of issues with R CMD check, it is easy to
reproduce the errors/warnings/notes on my own system; simply update all
packages and run the test.

For a small number of errors I have sometimes (over the years) had problems
reproducing them, perhaps because they are platform specific or because of
other issues.

In those cases, especially for packages which I work on infrequently, the
current submission / check introduces a long delay and - more importantly -
substantial mental overhead for me.  This is because I submit a fix and
then I usually have to wait 36-48h to see the result of R CMD check.

It would be great if we could get access to running R CMD check on all
three platforms by demand, with a results page which is semi-private (to
not confuse the package with a fix with the official devel version).  I
realize this could be misused or introduce a large computational overhead
on the project.  Perhaps only make this available for packages accepted
into the project.  But it would be nice.  For example, I have been hunting
a bug in minfi for like 10 days now, and the fact that I need to wait 48h
to get the result of a fix, really makes this painful.

Best,
Kasper