[Bioc-devel] portable make syntax

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fredhutch.org
Sat Jan 24 04:36:46 CET 2015

On 01/23/2015 06:22 PM, Michael Lawrence wrote:
> Here is a quote from Brian's email to CRAN maintainers:
>
> ------------
>
> The set of make programs in use for R is shifting (BSD make seems to
> be no longer in use by Apple or FreeBSD; dmake and pmake variants are
> appearing) and we have taken the POSIX standard as the baseline for
> portability.
>
> ------------
>
> It sounds like this is a CRAN-specific requirement. Bioc of course is
> left to make its own decision on make support.

I think that most make files can be made to conform easily to POSIX standards,
which seems in general like a good idea (Linux flavored packages build from
source, so the compilers on the Bioc build machines are a poor guide to those
encountered in the wild).

> If we absolutely need GNU Make, we can add this to DESCRIPTION:
>
> SystemRequirements: GNU make

...remembering that this merely quietens the note, and we would rather address
the issue.

I haven't looked at the build reports, but the it looks like the following
(including several apparently following poorly worded instructions in Rsamtools;
aargh) can be easily brought into conformance through use of ` rather than $(shell).

$ ls */src/Makevars|xargs grep -l shell
ArrayExpressHTS/src/Makevars
ChemmineR/src/Makevars
DiffBind/src/Makevars