[Bioc-devel] Package submission with library requirement

avinash sahu avinash.sahu at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 19:17:09 CET 2015

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply and quick support. I am sorry for so many issues, I am
somewhat novice in bioconductor.  I am replying to your comments inline.

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 6:55 PM, Dan Tenenbaum <dtenenba at fredhutch.org>
wrote:

> See my comments below.

Little bit of background first. GOAL is package, that will be a
accompanying software for the manuscript that we are submitting to nature
methods, so I would like to be as user friendly as possible. I spend couple
of days to compile the package in Windows, however it is getting stuck
because it uses Rcpp libraries along with third party libraries from other
packages. I tried to get help from Windows regular user but it need someone
expert in Windows OS to make it work. And I am no longer user of  Windows
so completely novice in it.

> > Regarding third party code, bioconductor website mentions (i.e.
> > ransampl):
> > "In cases where the external library is complex the author may need
> > supply pre-built binary versions for some platforms." How to provide
> > such
> > binaries for linux and Mac to bioconductor.
> >

> I'm not sure you need to provide binaries for ransampl. However, can you
> clarify the type of dependency that your package has on ransampl and GSL?
> Is the dependency build-time only? If that is the case, then users on Mac
> and Windows will not need to have ransampl and GSL installed, but they will
> if they need them at runtime.
>
> I clarified in my dependencies that it requires ransampl and GSL.  In
addition I added details in README about installation instruction of those
libraries.