[Bioc-devel] Announcing Docker containers for Bioconductor

Dan Tenenbaum dtenenba at fredhutch.org
Thu Jan 8 19:18:50 CET 2015

----- Original Message -----

It is not the case. These containers are set up differently than Rocker's.
Though I think I will change them to allow this.

In the meantime you can accomplish what you want, a bit circuitously. Run a command like this:

docker run -p 8787:8787 -e USER=$USER -e USERID=$UID --rm -it  -v /home/data/Dropbox/work/matrix/mr_bioc/matrix_rider/:/opt/matrix_rider  bioconductor/devel_sequencing bash

This opens a shell on the container (as root) where you can do the following:

/tmp/userconf.sh # note different location than on rocker
# ignore warning that /home/data already exists
passwd data # choose a passwd for the user, does not have to match your real password
/usr/bin/supervisord

Then open a browser to http://localhost:8787 and log in with username 'data' and the password you just set. You should be able to read/write the files in /opt/matrix_rider, assuming you can read/write those files when you are logged in as 'data' and _not_ using docker.

I will look at doing this in a way more similar to rocker; I'll let you know when/if this is done.

Thanks,
Dan

In the meantime you can use R from the command line as described in
https://github.com/rocker-org/rocker/wiki/Sharing-files-with-host-machine#interactive-containers with the change
that userconf.sh is in /tmp so you need to invoke it like this:

/tmp/userconf.sh

And ignore the warning it gives you that your home directory already exists.