[Bioc-devel] Importing classes into NAMESPACE

Hervé Pagès hpages at fredhutch.org
Thu Feb 26 20:40:43 CET 2015

Hi Karolis,

On 02/25/2015 09:02 AM, Karolis Uziela wrote:
> Thank you for your help everyone! Importing constructors separately (as
> Thomas suggested), has solved the problem.
>
> @Gabe: I am not using any methods from Biobase, GenomicRanges
> and S4Vectors. I am only using their constructors. Does it mean that I can
> skip importing the classes and only import the constructors? Or did you
> have something else in your mind?

If you really don't do anything with the objects returned by the
GRanges(), Rle(), or IRanges() constructors, that is, you either return
them directly to the user or pass them as input to other functions (not
methods), and if you don't define yourself methods for these classes,
I think you can skip importing the classes. However, as Gabe pointed
out, the cherry-picking game is generally not worth it and will often
turn out to be counter-productive.

Cheers,
H.

--