[Bioc-devel] Random access to sequences in fasta files

Hervé Pagès hpages at fredhutch.org
Fri Feb 20 23:39:31 CET 2015

Hi Thomas,

I've added support for direct access to an arbitrary subset of sequences
in FASTA files. It works in 3 steps:

Step 1: Call fasta.index() to get an index of what's in your files:

     library(Biostrings)
     filepaths <- c(path1, path2, path3, etc...)
     fai <- fasta.index(filepaths, seqtype="DNA")

   This new fasta.index() utility collects information of what records
   are in the file and where they are. It returns the information in a
   data frame with 1 row per record. Its memory footprint is very small
   because it loads very little information in memory.

Step 2: Select the sequences you want to read by subsetting the FASTA

     i <- create a subscript that reflects what you want to read (integer
          vector, or logical vector, or anything that can be used to
          subset 'fai' by row)

     fai[i, ]  # just for testing

Step 3: Pass fai[i, ] to readDNAStringSet():

     readDNAStringSet(fai[i, ])

See ?fasta.index for more information and examples.

Note that you could even save 'fai' in the directory where you have all
your FASTA files and re-use it later.

This is in Biostrings 2.35.11, which should become available via
biocLite() in the next 24 hours or so (if everything goes well).

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thanks,
H.

On 01/29/2015 06:45 AM, Martin Morgan wrote:
> On 01/29/2015 06:41 AM, Thomas Lin Pedersen wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I’m querying on whether there are any plans on supporting random
>> access reading of fasta files in the sense that it is possible to
>> upfront specify the indexes of sequences that should be read in.
>>
>> I’m working on a package for comparative microbial genomics and it
>> would be a huge speed improvement if it was possible to quickly read
>> in 1000’s of sequences distributed on as many files. Currently the
>> proper, vectorised approach requires all files to be read in at once
>> and then subsetted, but this can result in XStringSet’s in the Gb
>> range, just to access some sequences. The slow, un-R way would be to
>> loop through each file (or each sequence using skip and nrec to only
>> read in relevant sequences). I’m preferentially looking for an
>> interface like:
>>
>> readXStringSet(files, rec)
>>
>> Where rec is either a vector that would index into the XStringSet as
>> if everything from files had been read in, or a list with the same
>> length as files, containing the indexes of interest for each file.
>>

> Hi Thomas -- this should really be posted to support.bioconductor.org,
> but see Rsamtools::FaFile and rtracklayer::TwoBitFile access through
> getSeq.
>
> Martin
>
>> with best wishes
>>
>> Thomas