[Bioc-devel] help with imports for new package and other questions

Hervé Pagès hpages at fredhutch.org
Mon Aug 17 21:19:11 CEST 2015

Hi Lorena,

In your particular case it seems to me that you're using dplyr
internally for convenient data frame transformations (nothing that
couldn't be done with plain R BTW), and that you're only using a few
dplyr symbols for this. The codetoolsBioC package could be useful to
help you identify these things and import them selectively. It seems
to me that these things are: %>%, group_by, filter, and summarise,
but I could be missing some. OTOH your package defines the IsomirDataSeq
class which extends the SummarizedExperiment class, and thus relies
largely on the GenomicRanges/SummarizedExperiment infrastructure.
So I would highly recommend that you *fully* import BiocGenerics,
S4Vectors, IRanges, and SummarizedExperiment. That will make the
maintenance of your NAMESPACE file much easier in the long run than
importing selectively from these packages.

I also remember seeing selective imports from the methods package
in NAMESPACE files generated with codetoolsBioC. Unless there is a
good reason for doing so, these should be avoided and the methods
package fully imported.

Cheers,
H.

Hervé Pagès