[Bioc-devel] Request for comment metagenomeFeatures package

Vincent Carey stvjc at channing.harvard.edu
Tue Aug 4 21:14:27 CEST 2015

On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 3:00 PM, Martin Morgan <mtmorgan at fredhutch.org>
wrote:

> On 08/04/2015 06:43 AM, Nathan Olson wrote:
>
>> We are starting to work on an infrastructure for annotation of 16S
>> metagenomic
>> sequencing datasets and would like your comments and/or contributions.
>> Below are
>> links to two github repositories: metagenomeFeatures and
>> greengenes13.5MgDb.
>> The metagenomeFeatures package contains two classes; mgDb, for 16S
>> sequence
>> databases, and metagenomeAnnotation, for annotating a sequence dataset
>> with
>> taxonomic information from a mgDb object.  The greengenes13.5MgDb
>> package, loads
>> a mgDb object with the greengenes 13.5 database.  greengenes 13.5 was
>> used as an
>>

> does it make sense to use AnnotationHub to manage these resources?

I would think so.  At this time, trying to install greengenes13.5MgDb
package, the process "testing whether the package
can be loaded" takes a very long time -- I suspect it is doing some silent
downloading.  IMHO such activities
should be explicitly undertaken by the user.

> Instead of downloading and managing the fasta and taxonomy files in
> .onLoad and getGreenGenes13.5Db, .onLoad would be
>
>   hub = AnnotationHub()
>   db_seq = hub[["AH12345"]]
>   db_taxa_file = hub[["AH12346"]]

With this setup the first installation of the package could involve a long
download, silent by default.  It's feasible but
quite unusual.