[Bioc-devel] biocLite message "R package not available" is confusing

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Wed Sep 10 21:21:00 CEST 2014

On 09/10/2014 11:37 AM, davide risso wrote:
> Thanks Martin,
>
> yes, you're right about the "use the devel version," but perhaps
> biocLite could check if the package is available in the devel, just to
> distinguish between a package that is not in Bioconductor (mistyping?)
> and one that is not yet available in release.

biocLite() already scores high on the tangled code scale.

The problem is that this month's 'devel' will actually be next month's 'release'
and next year's 'previous version', so it's very hard to know where to look for
the available version, and how to reliably tell the user what to do to get the
package.

If it's a simple typo of an available package then install.packages will already
suggest an alternative.

I wonder where the users are getting the notion that they _should_ be able to
install RUVSeq in Bioc 2.14? I guess they follow the link in the Nature Methods
paper to the devel landing page, then follow the 'Installation' instructions
without paying attention to the various 'development version' flags on the page.

Martin