[Bioc-devel] Please bump version number when committing changes

Gabe Becker becker.gabe at gene.com
Mon Sep 8 15:15:47 CEST 2014

Michael,

Tags could work. Another approach  would be to update the repository and
then look in the log to see if the version number was changed in the most
recent commit. In a sense this is the converse of what our GRANBase package
does when locating historical package versions within the Bioc SVN.

This has the benefit of not requiring the authors do anything they didn't
already need to do in order to "flag" a release (i.e., bump the version
number).

I should note also to Dan's later point that while the Bioc repository
always builds whatever is in the latest commit currently, that need not be
the case. Our internal package repository only builds on  version bumps (of
a package or any of it's recursive dependencies).

~

Computational Biologist
Genentech Research