[Bioc-devel] SummarizedExperiment vs ExpressionSet

Peter Haverty haverty.peter at gene.com
Wed Nov 26 22:55:26 CET 2014

OK, GRanges as vector that does overlap stuff makes sense, but I think
putting a DataFrame of metadata on that confuses the purpose of the
object.  How about a "GRangesTable" that inherits from both GenomicRanges
and DataTable?  It would be a DataFrame with a fancy index.  The DataFrame
API would make stuff like colnames work (rather than needing
colnames(mcols(x)) ). If this were used as the rowData for
SummarizedExperiment, then a plain DataFrame could be made to work too.

Pete

Peter M. Haverty, Ph.D.
Genentech, Inc.
phaverty at gene.com