[Bioc-devel] Fast accessor for assay names of SummarizedExperiment

Peter Hickey hickey at wehi.EDU.AU
Wed Nov 26 01:46:46 CET 2014

Hi Martin,

Accessing the names of the assays in a SummarizedExperiment object is very slow when doing this by what seems that natural way of names(assay(se)). I now see that it should be done by names(assay(se, withDimnames = FALSE). But I was only able to figure this out by some googling which led me to https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/bioc-devel/2014-May/005724.html - perhaps it's worth including some documentation on the implications of 'withDimnames' when accessing the assays slot (I still don't fully understand it).

I also noticed that Kasper implemented an assayNames() helper function in his bsseq package that is ever so slightly faster. Do others think a general assayNames() helper function is worth including in GenomicRanges?

Benchmarks at https://gist.github.com/PeteHaitch/346b924e3eca8c3cfade

Thanks,
Pete

Peter Hickey,
PhD Student/Research Assistant,
Bioinformatics Division,
Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research,
1G Royal Parade, Parkville, Vic 3052, Australia.
Ph: +613 9345 2324

hickey at wehi.edu.au
http://www.wehi.edu.au