[Bioc-devel] Help with creating first Bioconductor package

Dan Tenenbaum dtenenba at fredhutch.org
Fri Nov 14 22:36:36 CET 2014

----- Original Message -----

No.

Keep R-release up to date with your OS's package manager. Build R-devel from source
and call either don't put it in your PATH and/or call its executable something else (Rdev?) instead of R.
You won't have to update it unless there are newer features of R-devel that break your package.

> Julian:
> > If you want to check it beforehand, have a look at
> > e.g. http://win-builder.r-project.org/.
>
> I use it regularly to check my CRAN packages (pca3d, riverplot and
> tagcloud), but I assumed that it does not have org.Hs.eg.db and GO.db
> which I need for my vignette.
>
> True, most likely there will not be any problems -- but I have had at
> least once troubles with a package that did not build correctly on
> Windows only (well, it did include C code).

As Martin mentioned, BioC has its own package builder available to you once you submit a package. It's absolutely fine if your package fails on one or more platforms when you submit it. Just look at the reports produced, fix the issue, and upload a new tarball. We don't find this annoying at all; on the contrary.

> Tim Triche, Jr:
> > "S3 objects as far as the eye can see"
>
> Is using S3 a problem? For simple things like to overload a few
> standard functions like plot and print? (Also, as a I user, I much
> prefer limma's EList than anything that was even lying next to an
> ExpressionSet; but then, I like Perl much more than Python).
>
> Nathaniel Hayden:
> > Yihui's formatR (
> > http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/formatR/index.html ) makes
> > formatting R files so simple and painless
>
> That is precisely the package I had in mind when I said that it would
> be annoying -- I'd still need to switch (and worse, *remember to
> switch*) between the two formatting styles whenever I was to submit a
> package :-)

Don't change your formatting if you don't want to. As the BioCheck vignette says (and as the word CONSIDER should tip you off), doing so is optional. These things are a matter of taste. If you like to indent two spaces, that's fine. We find really long lines (> 80 characters) a bit annoying but the number of spaces you use is a matter of personal taste. It's good to be consistent with yourself though....so if adding code from a developer who likes to use 4 spaces, that might be a thing to fix.

Dan