[Bioc-devel] Help with creating first Bioconductor package

Julian Gehring julian.gehring at embl.de
Fri Nov 14 17:19:24 CET 2014

Hi January,
On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 11:52, January Weiner  wrote:

2) Another problem I have is the testing package on other platforms. I
do not have a Windows machine to test my package. Could someone help
me and test my package (build, check and BiocCheck) on Windows and
MacOS? Otherwise -- how do you check your packages? You keep an up to
date R development environment on three platforms?
In most cases, an R package will be compatible with all platforms.  It
may get tricky if your package contains compiled code or relies on
external libraries.
Once you upload your package for review, it will automatically get build
and checked on all three platforms.  This may be sufficient for a small
package.
If you want to check it beforehand, have a look at
e.g. http://win-builder.r-project.org/.
3) Finally, I would love to have someone to go through my package and
tell me what they think. I'm not sure to what extent the reviewing
process is technical (like on CRAN), or whether the actual content of
the package is evaluated as well.

Whoever reviews your package for Bioc, will give you comments regarding
your package.  In my experience, the comments are very helpful, and
typically cover aspects from both a technical and a user point of view.
Best
Julian