[Bioc-devel] bioc pkgs depending on packages that are only in github?

Gabe Becker becker.gabe at gene.com
Mon Nov 10 15:58:24 CET 2014

Hey all,

A package manifest is essentially a decentralized PACKAGES file (this is
what defines what is in a package repository, for those who don't know). As
Michael pointed out, manifests can point to remote or local files (e.g.
those in an actual repository or the CRAN Archive), but it also understands
SCM systems (currently Git and SVN) and can point directly to those sources.

Note that the only thing necessary for a manifest to define a validated,
guarantee-providing cohort of packages is for it to point to a set of
packages which define such a cohort. If, after completion of Bioc's build
and testing process, a package manifest were generated and published to the
Web, packages installed using that manifest would provide all the same
guarantees that those from the Bioc repositories do now.

Finally, Martin, I didn't know about the Bioc manifests. Thanks for the
heads up on that.

~G

Computational Biologist
Genentech Research