[Bioc-devel] PPA with built bioconductor packages (for continuous integration)

Dan Tenenbaum dtenenba at fredhutch.org
Sun Nov 9 20:06:49 CET 2014

----- Original Message -----

Just to add to the mix of options, it's possible to run
R CMD INSTALL --build on a source tarball on Linux and it will create a 'binary' version that is already compiled.
The problem with this is (AFAIK) there is no corresponding package type that can be used with install.packages();
otherwise the simplest solution would be to add a CRAN-style repos containing these "binaries". Maybe R could be patched to allow this?
But it's possible that the requirements for Linux "binaries" could vary depending on many things: cpu type (intel or solaris, or...),
architecture (i386, x64), presence/absence of BLAS/LAPACK, etc etc etc. This suggests that a vm or container-based approach might be better.

Dan