[Bioc-devel] git-svn bridge: Track devel and release in different branches of same repo

Ilari Scheinin ilari.scheinin at gmail.com
Thu May 15 12:31:17 CEST 2014

> Are there plans for the awesome git-svn bridge to allow the tracking of devel and releases in different branches of the same git repository? Currently, one has to create different repos for devel and release (see http://bioconductor.org/developers/how-to/git-svn/).

I agree that the possibility to track specific branches would be a useful feature, but in case somebody has overlooked this possibility, I thought I’d share my setup.

Git lets you to push a local branch to remote branch with a different name. So, in my main GitHub repository (QDNAseq), I have two branches: master and release (+ possibly others for developing a specific feature, etc). All development happens in this repository (or its local clone to be exact), and this allows one to easily cherry pick commits from development (master) to be included in the release version.

And as required by the current bridge implementation, I also have a separate GitHub repository (QDNAseq-release) with a bridge set up to the release Bioconductor. This repository has only one branch (master), and I keep no local copy of it at all. When needed, I just push the QDNAseq/release branch to QDNAseq-release/master. Apart from the initial setup of the repository and the bridge, this one extra push is everything that is needed.

Of course, it’s a bit more error prone (one might forget to do the extra push, or could end up accidentally pushing QDNAseq/master to QDNAseq-relase/master), but it’s enough to make me fairly indifferent to the branch limitation of the bridge.

Ilari