[Bioc-devel] Tracking Current release (http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/current redirect to http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/2.14)

Don Armstrong don at donarmstrong.com
Thu May 8 03:21:36 CEST 2014

I maintain a collection of Debian packages of CRAN and BioC[1] for
public use; currently, whenever BioC makes a new release, it requires
manual intervention for me to point at the new release location.

It would be helpful if there was a
http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/current redirect to the current
release, or if there was another easily parsable method to obtain the
current bioC release version.

FWICT, neither http://bioconductor.org/getBioC.R nor
http://bioconductor.org/biocLite.R encode that information either,[2]
unless that's what CURRENT_R_DEVEL_VERSION <- "2.14.0" is supposed to
be.

1: http://debian-r.debian.net/

2: I should also point out that the current methodology of installing
BioC using code from a remote host is problematic as it exposes users to
MITM attacks because it is never checked for authenticity via PGP or at
the very least, SSL. As such, sourcing that script and using variables
populated by it isn't really acceptable.

I never until now realized that the primary job of any emoticon is to
say "excuse me, that didn't make any sense." ;-P
 -- Cory Doctorow