[Bioc-devel] libRblas and libRlapack are broken dependencies for packages in R 3.1.0 on Fedora 20

E N gifi2007 at hotmail.com
Tue May 6 21:29:17 CEST 2014

> [...]
>> checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /usr/bin/grep
>> checking for egrep... /usr/bin/grep -E
>> checking for ANSI C header files... yes
>> checking for sys/types.h... yes
>> checking for sys/stat.h... yes
>> checking for stdlib.h... yes
>> checking for string.h... yes
>> checking for memory.h... yes
>> checking for strings.h... yes
>> checking for inttypes.h... yes
>> checking for stdint.h... yes
>> checking for unistd.h... yes
>> checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
>> checking if PTHREAD_STACK_MIN is defined... yes
>> configure: creating ./config.status
>> config.status: creating src/Makevars
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> gcc -m64 -std=gnu99 -shared -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -grecord-gcc-switches -m64 -mtune=generic -flto -fpic -Wl,-z,relro -o preprocessCore.so R_colSummarize.o R_plmd_interfaces.o R_plmr_interfaces.o R_rlm_interfaces.o R_subColSummarize.o R_subrcModel_interfaces.o avg.o avg_log.o biweight.o init_package.o lm.o log_avg.o log_median.o matrix_functions.o median.o median_log.o medianpolish.o plmd.o plmr.o psi_fns.o qnorm.o rlm.o rlm_anova.o rlm_se.o rma_background4.o rma_common.o weightedkerneldensity.o -lpthread -llapack -lblas -lgfortran -lm -lquadmath -L/usr/lib64/R/lib -lR
>>
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -llapack
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lblas
>
> This is really about fedora system configuration; R has been built by linking to
> system-provided lapack and blas, but now R cannot find those libraries. Do they
> exist ?
>
> locate liblapack
> locate libblas
> R CMD locate liblapack
> R CMD locate libblas
>
> if not then there is somehow a missing dependency (on system-provided rather
> than R-provided lapack and blas) in the fedora R package. Presumably you can
> work around this by installing the lapack / blas dependency manually (i.e.,
> through the fedora package manager), and getting Tom Callaway to update the
> dependencies in R-3.1.0-4.fc20.src.rpm (although I see there that bals-devel>=
> 3.0 is already require'd.
>
> Partly I am 'shooting in the dark', so if I am missing something please excuse
> my errors.
>
> Martin

>> make: *** [preprocessCore.so] Error 1
>> ERROR: compilation failed for package ‘preprocessCore’
>> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>>
>> The full compilation output is the enclosed file. Errors come from the way R was builf for Fedora 20 and the previously mentioned Tom seems to be steady on the library dependencies management: "This is because we're building R with the system blas/lapack instead of their bundled copy (something we should have done a while ago)."
>> ***something we should have done a while ago***

[@localhost ~]$ locate liblapack
/usr/lib64/atlas/liblapack.so.3
/usr/lib64/atlas/liblapack.so.3.0

[@localhost ~]$ locate libblas
/usr/lib64/libblas.so.3
/usr/lib64/libblas.so.3.4
/usr/lib64/libblas.so.3.4.2

[@localhost ~]$ R CMD locate liblapack
/usr/lib64/atlas/liblapack.so.3
/usr/lib64/atlas/liblapack.so.3.0

[@localhost ~]$ R CMD locate libblas
/usr/lib64/libblas.so.3
/usr/lib64/libblas.so.3.4
/usr/lib64/libblas.so.3.4.2

R finds its BLAS and LAPACK dependencies, but packages can't. I'm neither a system packager nor an R package writer, but from the Tom Callaway's message I understood the following:
+prior R-3.1.0 on Fedora, packages could link to BLAS & LAPACK bundled with R regardless the system (un)provided similar libraries;
+since that R release, packages can no more search dependencies within R shared lib, they ought use the system ones.

Let's reuse 'preprocessCore' as an example. When <grep -nri 'lapack'> is applied to its sources, there are outputs for "matrix_functions.c" and "matrix_functions.c". Both files carry the following includes:
#include <R_ext/Rdynload.h>
#include <R.h>
#include <Rdefines.h>
#include <Rmath.h>
#include <Rinternals.h>

I suspect the problems stem from there. If I didn't miss Tom Callaway's point so far, such includes should be replaced by system's (i.e. Fedora).

Eric.

P.S. I left the whole conversation history in this mail to make it visible on the mailing list, which I should have done in my previous messages, sorry for my inadvertence.