[Bioc-devel] [BioC] granges() method for GenomicRanges objects akin to ranges()...

Hervé Pagès hpages at fhcrc.org
Mon May 5 20:28:02 CEST 2014

Hi,

I have no problem using granges() for that. Just to clarify:
   (a) it would propagate the names()
   (b) it would drop the metadata()
   (c) the mcols() would propagate only if 'use.mcols=TRUE' was
       specified ('use.mcols' is FALSE by default)
   (d) it would return a GRanges *instance* i.e. input object 'x'
       would be downgraded to GRanges if it extends GRanges

@Kasper: granges() on SummarizedExperiment ignores the 'use.mcols'
arg and always propagates the mcols. Alternatively you can use rowData()
which also propagates the mcols. granges() is actually just an alias
for rowData() on SummarizedExperiment objects.

H.

On 05/05/2014 10:31 AM, Kasper Daniel Hansen wrote:
> I agree with Michael on this.
>
> I can see why, in some usage cases, granges() is convenient to have with
> use.mcols=FALSE (which seems to have been added in the latest release).
>   But in my usage of granges(), where I call granges() on objects like
> SummarizedExperiments and friends, I have been expecting granges() to give
> me the GRange component of the object.  Not a crippled version of the
> GRange component.
>
> This is - to me - very counter intuitive and I wish I had seen this
> earlier.  It is particular frustrating that this default is part of the
> generic.
>
> Best,
> Kasper
>

> On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 12:11 PM, Michael Lawrence <lawrence.michael at gene.com
>> wrote:
>
>> In my opinion, granges() is not very clear as to the intent. The mcols are
>> part of the GRanges, so why would calling granges() drop them? I think we
>> want something similar to unclass(), unname(), etc. This why I suggested
>> dropmcols().
>>

>> On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 8:17 AM, Tim Triche, Jr. <tim.triche at gmail.com
>>> wrote:
>>
>>> That's exactly what I was after -- the generic is already defined, so why
>>> not use it?
>>>
>>> --t

>>> works on a 'GRanges' input?  The current definition

>>          [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Hervé Pagès

Program in Computational Biology
Division of Public Health Sciences