[Bioc-devel] Additional summarizeOverlaps counting modes for ChIP-Seq

Ryan rct at thompsonclan.org
Thu May 1 23:05:44 CEST 2014

Hi Valerie,

On Thu May 1 13:27:16 2014, Valerie Obenchain wrote:

> I have some concerns about the *ExtraArgs() functions. Passing
> flexible args to findOverlaps in the existing mode functions
> fundamentally changes the documented behavior. The modes were created
> to capture specific overlap situations pertaining to gene features
> which are graphically depicted in the vignette. Changing 'maxgap' or
> 'minoverlap' will produce a variety of results inconsistent with past
> behavior and difficult to document (e.g., under what circumstances
> will IntersectionNotEmpty now register a hit).
Well, I wasn't so sure about those functions either. Obviously you can
pass arguments that break things. They were mostly designed to be
constructors for specific counting modes involving the minoverlap/maxgap
arguments, but I decided I didn't need those modes after all. They're
certainly not designed to be exposed to the user. I haven't carefully
considered the interaction between the counting mode and
maxgap/minoverlap, but I believe that it would be roughly equivalent to
extending/shrinking the features/reads by the specified amount (with
some differences for e.g. a feature/read smaller than 2*minoverlap). For
example, with a read length of 100 and a minoverlap of 10 in Union
counting mode, this would be the same as truncating the first and last
10 (or mabe 9?) bases and operating in normal Union mode. As I said,
though, there may be edge cases that I haven't thought of where
unexpected things happen.

> I agree that controlling the overlap args is appealing and I like the
> added ability to resize. I've created a 'chipseq' mode that combines
> these ideas and gives what ResizeReads() was doing but now in 'mode'
> form. If this implementation gives you the flexibility you were
> looking for I'll check it into devel.

This sounds nice, but if I use the 'chipseq' mode, how do I specify
whether I want Union, IntersectionNotEmpty, or IntersectionStrict? It
looks like it just does Union? IntersectionStrict would be useful for
specifying that the read has to occur entirely within the bounds of a
called peak, for example. This is why I implemented it as a "wrapper"
that takes another mode as an argument, so that the resizing logic and
the counting logic were independent. Maybe summarizeOverlaps could
accept an optional "read modification function", and if this is
provided, it will pass the reads through this before passing them to the
counting function. The read modification function would have to take any
valid reads argument and return another valid reads argument. It could
be used for modifying the reads as well as filtering them. This would
allow resizing without the awkward nesting method that I've used.

> A couple of questions:
>
> - Do you want to handle paired-end reads? You coerce to a GRanges to
> resize but don't coerce back.
For paired end reads, there is no need to estimate the fragment length,
because the pair gives you both ends of the fragment. So if I had
paired-end ChIP-Seq data, I would use it as is with no resizing. I can't
personally think of a reason to resize a paired-end fragment, but I
don't know if others might need that.

I corece to GRanges because I know how GRanges work, but I'm not as
familiar with GAlignments so I don't know how the resize function works
on GAlignments and other classes. I'm sure you know better than I do how
these work. If the coercion is superfluous, feel free to eliminate it.

> - Do you want to require strand info for all reads? Is this because of
> how resize() anchors "*" to 'start'?
Yes, I require strand info for all reads because the reads must be
directionally extended, which requires strand info. Ditto for counting
the 5-prime and 3-prime ends.

-Ryan