[Bioc-devel] edgeR estimateGLMRobustDisp Fails when Called From A Package

Dario Strbenac dstr7320 at uni.sydney.edu.au
Sat Jun 28 05:00:19 CEST 2014

Hello,

My package doesn't ever explicitly call LargeDataObject, so I don't think it should have to explicitly import it.

I am also confused by the advice that Depends is preferable to Imports. I read in Writing R Extensions that "Packages whose namespace only is needed to load the package using library(pkgname) should be listed in the ‘Imports’ field and not in the ‘Depends’ field." and also at http://www.r-bloggers.com/a-dirty-hack-for-importing-packages-that-use-depends/ :

----
Motivation

As stated in the Writing R Extensions manual and the Software for Data Analysis book (aka the R bible), packages should whenever possible use Imports instead of Depends ...

The problem

So after adopting best practices, and only using Imports in my packages, the problem is that some imported packages do not follow those best practices and rely on Depends for their dependencies, and consequently will not find their dependencies unless hacked.
----