[Bioc-devel] Distinction between release and devel package websites

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Wed Jul 23 03:27:23 CEST 2014

On 07/22/2014 06:17 PM, Vincent Carey wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 7:10 PM, Andrzej OleÅ› <andrzej.oles at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Dan, Michael, Julian,
>>
>> Thank's for keeping the links to the tarballs!
>>
>> I don't argue that mixing release and devel is a good idea in general.
>> Rather, that for some users this might be the best compromise between
>> the following two objectives:
>> 1. a stable working environment
>> 2. the possibility to use or just quickly check a specific new feature
>> available in the devel version of package X
>>

> IMHO this is the road to ruin.
>

>> Switching entirely to devel is quite often a no-no for them because of
>> the unstable nature of the devel branch. And maintaining both release
>>

> I personally have never done the homework required to have
> both branches on hand with convenient updating.  It is
> surely feasible and I would imagine a number of folks reading this have
> done it for themselves.  It is probably not trivial to do it portably but a
> doc
> with suggestions for key platforms would be a nice contribution.  I used
> to have Rrel and Rdev scripts that made it work and that is easily worked
> out but it is not very elegant and transitioning to new releases of R is
> laborious.

FWIW one approach _is_ (well ok, sufficiently obscure to be not) documented at

   http://bioconductor.org/developers/how-to/useDevel/

but it is commented out so only appears in the source version of the page;
apparently it was more confusing than helpful, and the approach changes
depending on whether Bioc devel is on R devel or not.

Martin