[Bioc-devel] Possible bug in edgeR::aveLogCPM.default?

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Sat Jul 12 00:07:23 CEST 2014

Hi Ryan,

On Fri, 11 Jul 2014, Ryan C. Thompson wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I think I may have found a bug in the code for aveLogCPM.default in the edgeR
> package. Near the end of the function, the variable "prior.count.scale" is
> conditionally assigned to, and never subsequently used. I assume this is a
> typo and the variable name is supposed to be "prior.count.scaled" instead.
> Thus, this code is essentially a no-op. I'm not sure what the implications of
> skipping this line are or when this code would be executed. The line in
> question is this:
>
> if(is.null(dim(prior.count.scaled))) prior.count.scale <- matrix(1,nrow(y),1)
> %*% prior.count.scaled

Yes, you're right.  Thanks for letting us know.  Will fix.  Typo was
introduced last November.

> I downloaded the current development tarball from the Bioconductor site, and
> this also seems to have the same issue.
>
> On a side, note, the edgeR page lists 4 maintainers. Which one is the best
> one to email about bug reports, or should I cc all of them?

The author of each function is commented in the code, and also identified
in the Rd file.

There is no need to mail minor bug reports to bioc-devel.

Best wishes
Gordon