[Bioc-devel] Byte compiling of packages

Julian Gehring julian.gehring at embl.de
Wed Jan 8 16:43:16 CET 2014

Hi,

R-2.13 introduced the byte code compiler package 'compiler' [1], which
can be used to precompile the R code of a package at installation time
(using the ByteCompile field in the Description file or '--byte-compile'
with R CMD INSTALL).  I have been using this lately with my own
packages, and had some notable improvements (and also did not find a
case where it decreased the performance).  I was wondering if anyone has
extensive experience with this.  Specifically, are there good reasons
not to use this by default for packages?

Best wishes
Julian

[1] http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2011/04/12/