[Bioc-devel] BatchJobs and BiocParallel

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Fri Feb 14 19:23:01 CET 2014

On 02/14/2014 09:20 AM, Laurent Gatto wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Looking back in my (sparse) notes from the last European Bioc meeting, I
> saw two points that were mentioned during the BatchJobs and BiocParallel
> talk that are of particular interest to me.
>
> - BatchJobs: is there support, or are there any plans to support the
>    HTCondor infrastructure [1], and will this back-end be supported in
>    BiocParallel?
>
> - BiocParallel: is there support, or are there any plans to support
>    nested parallelisation. The use case I have in mind is to have a first
>    level of parallelisation to distribute n sets jobs on n different
>    machines using snow for example, and then each set of jobs would be
>    distributed on their respective machine via multicore?
>
> Any comments on the above solutions or their feasibility would be very
> welcome.

I opened a related issue on github from some off-hub commentary from Michael
Lang (QuasaR).

     https://github.com/Bioconductor/BiocParallel/issues/36

and I think this is a reasonable request. At least sometimes it seems like there
will be a natural transition from `bplapply` at the cluster level to `bpvec` at
the machine level.

Martin

> Thank you very much in advance.
>
> Best wishes,