[Bioc-devel] Google hangout on Wed December 10th for new package authors

Sonali Arora sarora at fredhutch.org
Tue Dec 9 20:49:10 CET 2014

Hi everyone,

Please be reminded that we are inviting you to join a webinar
tomorrow(Dec 10th, 2014) at 8:00AM PST.

You can "tune in" at: http://youtu.be/QfqaK_BHebU

Please feel free to chat and ask questions, they will be collectively
answered at the end of a short presentation.

A recording of this google hangout will later be  made available on the
Bioconductor's youTube channel.

See you on air !
Sonali.

On 12/5/2014 9:06 AM, Michael Lawrence wrote:
> How exactly do we "tune in" to this hangout? Is there some sort of URL?
>
> On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 3:08 PM, Marc Carlson <mcarlson at fredhutch.org> wrote:
>
>> Hello new package authors,
>>
>> Based on the number of new software packages being submitted to the
>> project it seems that Bioconductor is more popular than ever.  Last release
>> we added a hundred and ten new packages (a new record).
>>
>> A lot of the popularity of this project is because Bioconductor packages
>> have to live up to certain minimal standards (Nature Genetics thinks so
>> too, e.g., http://www.nature.com/ng/journal/v46/n1/full/ng.2869.html).
>> For example every Bioconductor package is expected to:
>>
>> 1) provide complete documentation so that new users will know how to use
>> them
>> 2) contain working examples that are run when the package is checked by
>> the build system so that failure can be detected early.
>> 3) cooperate with related packages within the project so as to facilitate
>> code reuse and support reproducible research.
>>
>> We hope you will agree that having such package guidelines is a big win
>> for the whole community.
>>
>> To help *you* contribute to Bioconductor, we are going to have a Google
>> hangout (on air) to allow you to tune in, listen to some tips from
>> Bioconductor package reviewers and then open up the forum for questions.
>>
>> Webinar Invitation: Contributing your package to Bioconductor: guidelines
>> and overview
>> Date: December 10, 2014
>> Time: 8:00 AM PST /11:00 AM  EST
>>
>> Please 'tune in' December 10th at 8AM PST for a Google Hangout to discuss
>> new package contributions.  And learn how to maximize the value of your
>> package contribution to the Bioconductor community.

Thanks and Regards,
Sonali