[Bioc-devel] Experiment Data biocViews updates

Vincent Carey stvjc at channing.harvard.edu
Mon Dec 8 17:44:03 CET 2014

On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 11:22 AM, Sonali Arora <sarora at fredhutch.org> wrote:

> Hi Vince,
>
> On 12/8/2014 7:38 AM, Vincent Carey wrote:
>
>> Very nice.  Is "WholeGenomeData" under "SequencingData"  sufficiently
>> clear?
>>
> We mirrored the Technology category under Software biocViews for
> "TechnologyData", thus "SequencingData" mirrored "Sequencing"
> what would you suggest instead ?

Well, this is something we should get some consensus on if there will be
any changes.  It seems
to me that various assays can be regarded as "whole genome data" whereas I
think what is intended
for that term is whole genome dna sequencing, and one might want to
distinguish germ line and
tumor sequencing for an initial cut?

>> We may also want to have a source tissue terminology in the experimental
>> data space.
>>
> We have :
> SpecimenSource -> Tissue;

Again I don't want to introduce pointless complexity.  But my understanding
is that one can only
use terms that are in the hierarchy, so if there are informative
distinctions missing from the hierarchy,
resources go out with vague labels.

one set of terms for tissues is at

http://www.gtexportal.org/home/

since we might want to repackage some of that data, perhaps a coarse subset
of those terms would
be useful to have in the hierarchy