[Bioc-devel] recalling methods

Michael Lawrence lawrence.michael at gene.com
Thu Dec 4 22:01:18 CET 2014

I think this gets at the heart of at least one of the usability issues in
Bioconductor: interface discoverability. Many simpler command line tools
have a single-faceted interface for which it is easy to enumerate a list of
features. There's definitely room for better ways to interrogate our
object-oriented APIs, but it's challenging. Essentially we need a way for
the user to ask "what can I do with this object?". Yes, we need better
introspection utilities, but we also need to integrate the query with
documentation. In other words, we need a more dynamic, more fluid help
system, oriented around S4.