[Bioc-devel] Google hangout on Wed December 10th for new package authors

Marc Carlson mcarlson at fredhutch.org
Wed Dec 3 00:08:08 CET 2014

Hello new package authors,

Based on the number of new software packages being submitted to the
project it seems that Bioconductor is more popular than ever.  Last
release we added a hundred and ten new packages (a new record).

A lot of the popularity of this project is because Bioconductor packages
have to live up to certain minimal standards (Nature Genetics thinks so
too, e.g., http://www.nature.com/ng/journal/v46/n1/full/ng.2869.html).
For example every Bioconductor package is expected to:

1) provide complete documentation so that new users will know how to use
them
2) contain working examples that are run when the package is checked by
the build system so that failure can be detected early.
3) cooperate with related packages within the project so as to
facilitate code reuse and support reproducible research.

We hope you will agree that having such package guidelines is a big win
for the whole community.

To help *you* contribute to Bioconductor, we are going to have a Google
hangout (on air) to allow you to tune in, listen to some tips from
Bioconductor package reviewers and then open up the forum for questions.

Webinar Invitation: Contributing your package to Bioconductor:
guidelines and overview
Date: December 10, 2014
Time: 8:00 AM PST /11:00 AM  EST

Please 'tune in' December 10th at 8AM PST for a Google Hangout to
discuss new package contributions.  And learn how to maximize the value
of your package contribution to the Bioconductor community.