[Bioc-devel] About Hg38 BSgenome

Julian Gehring julian.gehring at embl.de
Tue Dec 2 16:15:07 CET 2014

Hi Raffaele,

Ignore my last post completely, it was overly optimistic:

The 'BSgenome.Hsapiens.NCBI.GRCh38' package contains the genomic
sequence that is identical between GRCh38 and hg38.  The naming of the
chromosomes is different.  For the toplevel chromosomes, the names can
be easily converted:

  library(BSgenome.Hsapiens.NCBI.GRCh38)
  library(TxDb.Hsapiens.UCSC.hg38.knownGene)

  bs = BSgenome.Hsapiens.NCBI.GRCh38
  seqlevelsStyle(bs) = "UCSC" ## convert to UCSC style

  seqlevels(BSgenome.Hsapiens.NCBI.GRCh38)

  seqlevels(bs)
  seqlevels(TxDb.Hsapiens.UCSC.hg38.knownGene)

However, this does not work for the non-toplevel chrs, e.g.:
'HSCHR19KIR_RP5_B_HAP_CTG3_1' does not have a corresponding sequence in
the 'TxDb.Hsapiens.UCSC.hg38.knownGene' (and also won't be converted).

Best
Julian

Julian Gehring (12/02/14 15:44):