[Bioc-devel] Additional summarizeOverlaps counting modes for ChIP-Seq

Valerie Obenchain vobencha at fhcrc.org
Wed Aug 6 20:21:20 CEST 2014

Hi Ryan,

On 08/05/2014 05:47 PM, Ryan C. Thompson wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I'm looking at the examples in the summarizeOverlaps help page here:
> http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/devel/bioc/manuals/GenomicAlignments/man/GenomicAlignments.pdf
>

> And the examples fod preprocess.reads are a little confusing. One of the
> examples passes some additional "..." options to summarizeOverlaps, and
> implies that these will be passed along as the "..." arguments to the
> proprocess.reads function:
>
>     summarizeOverlaps(grl, reads, mode=Union,
> preprocess.reads=ResizeReads, width=1, fix="end")
>
> The width and fix arguments are implied to be passed through to
> ResizeReads, but I don't see it documented anywhere how this would be
> done.

This is standard use of '...'. See the ?'...' and ?dotsMethods man
pages. I've added a sentence in \arguments clarifying that '...' can
encompass arguments called by any subsequent function/method.

The summarizeOverlaps documentation for "..." says "Additional
> arguments for BAM file methods such as singleEnd, fragments or param
> that apply to the reading of records from a file (see below)." I don't
> see anything about passing through to preprocess.reads.
>
> Incidentally, this is why my original example used a function that
> constructed a closure with these arguments already bound. I would write
> the example like this to ensure no ambiguity in argument passing (pay
> attention to parens):

The 'resize.args' variable below captures all variables that exist in
the .dispatchOverlaps() helper, many of which don't need to be passed to
resize(). The 'preprocess.reads' function can be written this way or it
can have default values in the signature as I've done in the man page
example.

Valerie