[Bioc-devel] Bug in as.data.frame method for RangedData?

Valerie Obenchain vobencha at fhcrc.org
Tue Apr 29 00:56:32 CEST 2014

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the report. The old behavior of as.data.frame on 'RangedData'
objects has been re-instated in IRanges 1.99.7.

Last week we added a new as.data.frame,List method that is now used by
all 'List' objects. This was done for a variety of reasons that I'll
include in an announcement on the mailing list. The long and the short
of it is that 2 new columns have been added, 'group' and 'group_name'
and you'll have the ability to keep outer metadata set on the 'List' object.

I did not intend to change the behavior of as.data.frame,RangedData.
What happened was the method calls a couple of as.data.frame() methods
on 'List' objects. Once I removed the old 'List' methods,
as.data.frame,RangedData went through the new 'List' methods which
created the new columns you were seeing.

Eventually RangedData objects will be phased out so we've decided to
keep the legacy behavior instead of updating them to include the new
columns.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Valerie