[Bioc-devel] S4Vectors package

Hervé Pagès hpages at fhcrc.org
Thu Apr 17 20:31:39 CEST 2014

Hi,

The IRanges package is too big and hard to maintain (90 classes, 157
generics, 844 methods, 447 ordinary functions). I'm going to start
moving its lowest level stuff to a new package called S4Vectors. The
idea is to end up with 2 smaller and more focused packages that should
be easier to maintain and document.

Roughly speaking the split criteria is that all the stuff that does not
involve ranges goes to S4Vectors. This includes the Vector and List
virtual classes, and the DataFrame, Rle, and Hits concrete classes.

Even though I'll do my best to make this split as smooth as possible,
some turbulences on the build report are to be expected. I'll keep a
close eye on that and fix the packages affected by this split.

Thanks,
H.

--
Hervé Pagès