[Bioc-devel] unexpected build and check error

Luo Weijun luo_weijun at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 4 19:36:56 CEST 2014

Dan,
Thanks for the followup. That’s wired. I use R 3.0.0 here. It is different from R-3.1.0, but I don’t think it would make such a difference in generating the error below:
Error in bods[idx, "id.type"] : subscript out of bounds

I run the exact same build command on my local machine (as below), I got the same error indeed:
R CMD build --keep-empty-dirs --no-resave-data gage

But if I install gage package first, then then create vignettes manually, everything is fine.
sudo R CMD INSTALL gage
cd gage/vignettes/
R CMD Sweave gage.Rnw
R CMD texi2dvi -p gage.tex

I am not sure, why there is such a difference. Do you have any idea on this?

I suspected that bods data file (bods.rda in the data directory) was not updated or have some problem somehow. Below is the problematic code chunk in the go.gset.R file:

…
      idx=which(bods[,"species"] == species)
      if(length(idx)!=1) stop("bad species value")
      pkg.name = bods[idx, "package"]
      id.type=toupper(bods[idx, "id.type"])
…

I tried to insert the following two lines:
      print(head(bods))
      print(idx)
before the last line above and rerun rerun: R CMD build --keep-empty-dirs --no-resave-data gage
The error still exists, but I don’t see the printed out results from the newly added lines, hence not able to figure out what happened there.
so far, I can think of anything wrong with gage package. because the manual install and vignette creating worked. The only problem I am sure is that R CMD build --keep-empty-dirs --no-resave-data behave differently from the manual process. Could you help to check into the problem here? Thank you! I am cc’ing the devel list see if other people got the same problem.
Weijun