[Bioc-devel] R-3.0.2 and vignettes that should not be built

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 15:56:26 CEST 2013

kasperdanielhansen at gmail.com writes:

Dear Kasper,

> A package source would be good so I can do some testing.  Or post what

It is in BioC, but I can send you my sources if you want. Anyway ...

> happens if you leave out inst/doc/big.Rnw (but keep inst/doc/big.pdf).  I
> would assume (see below) that this keeps the pdf.

you are right. I should have tried that! Removing the .Rnw leaves the pdf in
place. (Of course, that is still not what we want)

> R-exts still mentions that Rnw's are only processed in either /vignettes or
> /inst/doc, not both (which is what you describe).

Well, the Rnw under /inst/doc are not processed in the usual sense: they are not
Sweaved and texed. But their presence seems to lead to the PDF being deleted.

> It also says: "In addition to the help files in Rd format, R packages allow
> the inclusion of documents in arbitrary other formats. The standard location
> for these is subdirectory inst/doc of a source package, the contents will be
> copied to subdirectory docwhen the package is installed."

Right, I forgot to copy that; that is why I assumed that anything under
/inst/doc would just be copied if /vignettes exists.

> So this looks undocumented behaviour, I would say.  Probably due to the
> fact that you have both Rnw and pdf there, which - as I read the
> documentation - should be allowable.

Yes.

Best,

R.