[Bioc-devel] R-3.0.2 and vignettes that should not be built

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 15:26:02 CEST 2013

Dear Kasper,

kasperdanielhansen at gmail.com writes:

> As you describe this, this seems to be a change from the previously
> documented (in R-exts) behaviour in R.  Let us review the "new"
> documentation and then we probably need to take it up with R-devel, but
> before doing so, experience suggests that doing our "homework" is

I've done that homework to the best of my knowledge and specifically I've read
the R-exts of the version I downloaded this morning. But I still cannot
understand what should happen. For instance:

"The preferred location for the sources is the subdirectory vignettes of the
source package, but pro tem for compatibility with the layout before R 2.14.0,
vignette sources will be looked for in inst/doc if subdirectory vignettes does
not exist"

or

"By default R CMD build will run Sweave on all Sweave vignette source files in
vignettes, or pro tem if that does not exist, inst/doc (but not in
sub-directories)"

and

"When R CMD build builds the vignettes, it copies these and the vignette sources
from directory vignettes to inst/doc."

But I do not see any explicit statement about what happens if both /inst/doc and
/vignettes exist and inst/doc has a PDF.

In the past it seems that, when /vignettes existed, the sources and built pdfs
were copied to /inst/doc, and that /inst/doc (which might also have contained
other PDFs) was what ended up in the tar.gz. Now, it seems, the PDF of the
non-built vignetted (the one in /inst/doc) does not make it to /inst/doc in the
tar.gz.

> beneficial.  Is the package publicly available somewhere?  That may be
> useful for other people.

Sure, it is ADaCGH2 in BioC:

http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/2.13/bioc/html/ADaCGH2.html

Best,