[Bioc-devel] Subsetting an RleList object

Hervé Pagès hpages at fhcrc.org
Wed Oct 30 19:43:26 CET 2013

On 10/30/2013 10:07 AM, Michael Lawrence wrote:

> [...]
>              would require the list-like subscript to have the same
>         length as 'x'
>              but the other wouldn't. Or one would use the names on the
>         subscript
>              and on 'x' to map the list elements between the two, but
>         the other
>              wouldn't.
>
>              Hopefully in BioC 2.13, subsetting behaves more
>         consistently (at least
>              that was the intention). For example now the names on the
>         subscript and
>              on 'x' are always used to map the list elements between the
>         two:
>
>                 > x[list(`4`=2:1)]
>                 CharacterList of length 1
>                 [["4"]] f b
>
>              Also now, it's an error if the subscript has names but 'x'
>         has not:
>
>                 > unname(x)[list(`4`=2:1)]
>                 Error in subsetListByList(x, i) :
>
>                   cannot subscript an unnamed list-like object by a named
>              list-like object
>
>              (I should probably change this message for: "cannot subset
>         an unnamed
>              list-like object by a named list-like subscript".)
>
>              This is to be consistent with subsetting a Vector object by
>         name, which
>              fails if 'x' has no names:
>
>                 > IRanges(1:4, 5)["a"]
>
>                 Error in normalizeSingleBracketSubscrip____t(i, x) :
>                   cannot subset by character when names are NULL
>
>              If the subscript is a list-like object with names, the
>         assumption is
>              that the user intended those names to be mapped against 'x'
>         names.
>

>         Why make this assumption?
>

>     As I said, this is how [<- was behaving in Bioc < 2.13, but not [.
>     When reunifying a choice has to be made, and I chose to make [
>     behave like [<- and not the other way around. For 3 reasons:
>        1. It makes subsetting by a list-like object more flexible.
>
>        2. It feels more consistent with what subsetting a Vector object
>           by name does.
>        3. It's also consistent with what findOverlaps() and
>           subsetByOverlaps() have been doing for years on named
>           RangesList objects.
>

>         Three users here have not made it and were
>         surprised by the names on the index having any relevance to
>         extraction.
>

>     The good news is that now that they've been surprised by this, they
>     won't be surprised by the behavior of subsetByOverlaps() ;-)
>     We cannot totally eliminate user surprises (depends too much on
>     individual backgrounds), but we can minimize them by providing
>     consistent behavior.
>

> A long time ago we decided that the extraction should just happen in
> parallel, and that subsetByOverlaps on RangesList was a special case
> (it's already so different from basic [ extraction). Apparently, we
> forgot to take out the [<- stuff. So I would argue that the change
> should go the other way. Users will not expect the name-based matching.
> At least that was the consensus 4 years ago.

The consensus amongst who? AFAICT this behavior was not documented
and no unit test broke when I modified List-wise extraction to match
the names, so it looked more like a grey area to me than a conscious
decision.

Also none of the 100 or so software packages that depend directly or
indirectly on IRanges seemed to be affected by this change. The reason
for this is that the most common use case for List-wise extraction is
something like this:

   > cvg <- RleList(chr1=Rle(c(0, 1, 0), c(10, 5, 8)),
                    chr2=Rle(c(1, 0), c(6, 14)))

   > cvg[cvg >= 1]
   RleList of length 2
   $chr1
   numeric-Rle of length 5 with 1 run
     Lengths: 5
     Values : 1

   $chr2
   numeric-Rle of length 6 with 1 run
     Lengths: 6
     Values : 1

And this use case is not affected by List-wise extraction matching or
not the names. Thomas's use case is very unusual: the subscript looks
like the result of a split() and, most of the times, I would expect this
subscript to be used to subset an object that is also the result of a
split() (by a split factor with the same levels). So the object to
subset and the subscript would normally both end up with the same
names. But in his case, the object to subset has no names, I don't know
why. If List-wise extraction matches the names, subsetting still does
the right thing even if the split factors have levels not in the same
order (or if some levels in the factor used to split the subscript
are missing). If it doesn't match the names, the subsetting will make
no sense and the user won't even know it. No surprise but wrong result.

H.

E-mail: hpages at fhcrc.org
Phone:  (206) 667-5791
Fax:    (206) 667-1319