[Bioc-devel] SUGGESTION: BioC version (e.g. 2.13) to also follow the x.y(.z) version scheme of Bioc packages

Henrik Bengtsson hb at biostat.ucsf.edu
Thu Oct 17 00:19:57 CEST 2013

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 12:20 PM, Dan Tenenbaum <dtenenba at fhcrc.org> wrote:

> [...]

I believe you meant to write "...that *odd* 'y' always indicates a
devel version".  If so, yes.

> I think this would add to the confusion rather than simplify. The way things are now, I can be confident that the next release of BioC will be 2.14. With the proposed way, I'd need to think, well, it will be 2.15 until release and then it will be 2.16, and then the next devel will be 2.17 which will be 2.18 when it is released, and so forth.

But, that's how it works for BioC packages - the same implementation
that had version 1.13.3 in devel, gets bumped to 1.14.0 when it's
released.  The odd/even version numbers of BioC makes it easy to know
when you work to/require a devel version of a package or not.  I'm
looking for an analogous way for the "BioC" version.  My main argument
would be that some of the core BioC packages (Biobase, BioCInstaller)
could then reflect/trace the version of the BioC project itself.

As it is now, you cannot look at the BioC version and infer whether it
is a release or devel version.  You can only do this by looking it up
manually online, but it cannot be programmatically tested for.  The
way I see it is that the BioC version is currently now only a label
used for communication and in some URLs.  Also, one day the same BioC
version is devel, the next day it's release.  I guess this one of the
reason why R decided to stop mentioning the version number for R devel
and instead simply call it "R devel (to become 3.1.0") . The analogue
for BioC, and an alternative to my suggestion, would to never use a
version number for the current devel, but to call it "BioC devel (to
become 2.14") and reserve the numbers to the release version.

/Henrik