[Bioc-devel] Update policy on experiment data and annotation packages

Julian Gehring julian.gehring at embl.de
Thu Oct 10 12:05:36 CEST 2013

Hi,

What is the consensus on updating data in experiment data and annotation
packages?

The bioc website [1] does not state any differences between the two
package types in terms of updating their content.  From the bioc core, I
have the information that (a) experimental data packages should
represent 'frozen' data and not get updated over release cycles, while
(b)  annotation packages should get updated with every release cycle.
Should we add this information to the website?

I'm curious what this means for experimental data that accumulates over
time, i.e. data from big consortia, as represented by e.g.
'curatedOvarianData', 'SomaticCancerAlterations', and others.  Should
one create create a new package with each release cycle (indicating the
data version in the package name, as the 'SNPlocs*' packages) to ensure
reproducibility?  Or update an annotation package with each release, and
try to ensure backwards compatibility within the package itself?

Best wishes
Julian

----
[1] http://bioconductor.org/developers/package-guidelines/#package-types