[Bioc-devel] Preparing package release notes

Dan Tenenbaum dtenenba at fhcrc.org
Tue Oct 8 23:11:31 CEST 2013

Package developers --

Each Bioconductor release is accompanied by release notes that mention
new packages and other significant project developments. For the
forthcoming release we would also like to include release notes for
individual packages, so that users have an easy way to survey changes
in their favorite packages.

To have your package release notes made available in the Bioconductor
release notes, please arrange for your package to include a NEWS.Rd or
NEWS file that can be parsed by the utils::news function. We'll run
this command over all packages, using a 'query' argument that captures
all updates more recent than the start of the current release cycle.
For instance, Rsamtools in the devel branch is at version "1.13.48", so
we'll get news with

> utils::news(Version >= "1.13.0", "Rsamtools")

Changes in version 1.14.0:

NEW FEATURES

    o   seqinfo(FaFile) returns available information on sequences and
    lengths on Fa (indexed fasta) files.

    o   filterBam accepts FilterRules call-backs for arbitrary
    filtering.

    o   add isIncomplete,BamFile-method to test for end-of-file

    o   add count.mapped.reads to summarizeOverlaps,*,BamFileList-method;
    set to TRUE to collect read and nucleotide counts via countBam.

    o   add summarizeOverlaps,*,character-method to count simple file
    paths

BUG FIXES

    o   scanVcfHeader tolerates records without ID fields, and with
    fields named similar to ID.

    o   close razip files only once.

    o   report tabix input errors

See ?news for more detail. We will collate these files no later than Friday,
October 11 at 5PM Seattle time.

Thanks,
Dan