[Bioc-devel] could bsseq::data.frame2GRanges be added to GenomicRanges

Steve Lianoglou lianoglou.steve at gene.com
Mon Oct 7 18:23:34 CEST 2013

Hi,

+1 from me, too ... I've also had a similar conversion function
(data.[frame|table] <--> GRanges) in my toolbelt which I found quite
useful over the years.

-steve

On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 5:00 PM, Kasper Daniel Hansen
<kasperdanielhansen at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is a convenience function, which provably has saved tons of time for
> me and others.  I get lots of data from various excel/cvs files lying
> around various places, and these files _always_ have a clear path to a
> GRanges.  Perhaps you never have to deal with this kind of data, but we are
> a few experienced users who find it extremely handy and would like it to be
> in a more centralized place.
>

> On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 4:26 PM, Michael Lawrence
> <lawrence.michael at gene.com>wrote:
>
>> I'm still unconvinced that there is an obvious, general path from
>> data.frame -> GRanges. It's usually easy enough to just call GRanges(),
>> often of the pattern with(df, GRanges(...)). Moreover, it's unusual for me
>> to encounter genomic data in data.frames.
>>

>> On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 8:37 AM, Kasper Daniel Hansen <
>> kasperdanielhansen at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Also, it goes without saying that I am happy to provide a patch for
>>> GenomicRanges, and check that it passes R CMD check, to minimize the work
>>> of the maintainer.
>>>
>>> Kasper

>>> data.frame
>>> ignore

Steve Lianoglou
Computational Biologist
Bioinformatics and Computational Biology
Genentech