[Bioc-devel] BigWigViews

Cook, Malcolm MEC at stowers.org
Tue Nov 19 20:57:55 CET 2013

Hi,

I just went through this approach in yeast,
	regions = gene promoters
	assays =  H3K3ME1, H3K3ME2, H3K3ME3 ChipSeq
	experimental conditions: 7 recombinant knock-outs and knock-ins of different domains of different genes.
	two replicates

So, what I first reached for was something like the IRanges views pattern, but for a collection of bigWig, such as we are discussing.

And, not finding it in the wild, I rolled by own using existing BioC, allowing me to curry a function down to each Rle corresponding to each region in each bigWig, returning ultimately a matrix of values.

This worked, but, in retrospect, I think my need would have been better served by serializing the results  for each bigwig, saving it in a corresponding file.

Why?

Because I find myself now in the position of now needing to slice and dice different subsets of samples and assays, and also add in new samples from more recent experiments.

The one thing that has NOT change is the list of regions (in my case, gene promoters).

If I instead adopt an approach where I create one serialized (.RDS or .csv) file per bigwig storing the tabulation of my summary function at the promoter level, I can easily load just the ones in any combination I need for a latter analysis.  I can even load them into a multi-dimensional array, index by, say [sample,assay].

What I'm thinking wanting now rather is some interface to multi-dimensional (virtual) array, where two of the dimensions (say, assay and sample) determine the filepath containing the third dimension, begin the computed and serialized value at each promoter.

Your mileage may vary.

~ Malcolm