[Bioc-devel] deprecation of keepSeqlevels and renameSeqlevels

Valerie Obenchain vobencha at fhcrc.org
Thu May 30 01:20:47 CEST 2013

Hi all,

keepSeqlevels(), dropSeqlevels(), renameSeqlevels() and the new
restoreSeqlevels() are in GenomicRanges 1.13.16.

Major changes:

- These are high-level functions that wrap seqlevels(), not generics
with methods.

- All except restoreSeqlevels accept a named or unnamed character vector.

- restoreSeqlevels is built on the new low-level seqlevels0() and
currently applies only to TranscriptDb. (We plan to support this for
BSgenome and SNPLocs as well.) The issue is that when seqlevels are
changed directly on the TranscriptDb (reference class) it is difficult
for the user to get back to the original names if they want them. Simply
reloading the package doesn't do it. There is an example of this on the
man page. The seqlevels0,TranscriptDb-method is in GenomicFeatures 1.13.11.

Let me know if you have problems / questions.

Val