[Bioc-devel] deprecation of keepSeqlevels and renameSeqlevels

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Tue May 21 00:11:05 CEST 2013

Hi Michael --

On 5/20/2013 5:56 AM, Michael Lawrence wrote:
> While it's cool that seqlevels<- has become so flexible, I still claim that
> rename/keep/drop would be a lot easier to read, because they describe the
> high-level operation, and there's no reason to deprecate them. They're also
> easier to remember. For example, for dropping with seqlevels<-, the user needs
> to remember that "force" is necessary to drop. Much easier to just say
> "dropSeqlevels(), please". And reimplementing keepSeqlevels is still too
> complicated. Is it such a maintenance burden to have these simple wrappers sit
> on top of the low-level manipulators?
>
> Another suggestion: renameSeqlevels should not require a named vector (in cases
> where it is unnamed, require that it is parallel to the existing seqlevels, as
> with seqlevels<-).

I didn't really indicate what drove my desire to see keepSeqlevels deprecated.
keepSeqlevels, seqlevels<-, and isActiveSeq were developed more or less
independently, and have different contracts. The different contracts are
confusing to the user, as is creating a usable help system when there are
multiple end points for what is a common operation. The help pages of each were
inadequate in different ways. And because the code was developed independently,
support for different objects was inconsistent. So actually, yes, the
maintenance (and use) burden for the previous state of affairs was substantial.

On the other hand, I agree that keepSeqlevels is convenient as a simple wrapper
around seqlevels<-, in the same way that setNames and names<- are both useful.

So we could iterate to

   keepSeqlevels <-
       function(x, value, ...)
   {
       seqlevels(x, force=TRUE) <- value
   }

but I'd be less enthusiastic about maintaining the original contract of
keepSeqlevels, where keepSeqlevels(gr1, gr2), would have worked for two GRanges
objects.

Martin

--
Dr. Martin Morgan, PhD