[Bioc-devel] biocLite should warn when called from a non-current R version

Wolfgang Huber whuber at embl.de
Thu Jun 20 17:21:57 CEST 2013

Hi,
there is benefit in having newest versions, but I think we shouldn't get carried away, and find Martin's suggestion reasonable. I don't want to be told to go get an iPhone 5 every time I update an app on my iPhone 4 - even if that same app would work much better there. People may have legitimate reasons to run an 'old' R, and we are not the version police.

Simon, I very much sympathise with your frustration about thoughtless or ignorant user questions, and I suppose you hope that this proposed change will provide a quick fix. I would have said something different above if I shared that hope, but I am not sure it would make much difference to them in practice: many would not follow that message even it were in ALL CAPS ALL ACROSS THEIR SCREEN. And at the same time shouting at people who know what they're doing is not a desirable approach.

	Best wishes
	Wolfgang