[Bioc-devel] biocLite should warn when called from a non-current R version

Laurent Gautier lgautier at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 23:24:09 CEST 2013

I support this.

A notice that there is a newer version available is something a number
of users would almost expect (since a number of the applications they
use probably already do so), and would be in aligned with the
bioconductor effort to reach the widest possible audience.

However, users should also be warned that updating R might break or
change the behaviour of code they currently have working. A pointer to
documentation about how to run several versions of R on a system would
also be welcome. Otherwise the result could be that you just change the
content of the annoying emails you receive to "my analysis scripts
suddenly stopped working, what happened ?".

L.