[Bioc-devel] Can I analyze with bioconductor a microarray experiement where the distribution of probes intesisties follow a bimodel distribution?

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Sun Jun 9 03:46:12 CEST 2013

Dear Miguel,

> From: "Miguel Moreno-Risueno" <miguelangel.moreno at upm.es>
> To: "'James W. MacDonald'" <jmacdon at uw.edu>
> Cc: bioc-devel at r-project.org
> Subject: Re: [Bioc-devel] Can I analyze with bioconductor a microarray
> 	experiement where the distribution of probes intesisties follow a
>       bimodal distribution?
>
> Hi James
>
> Thank you very much for the answer. Yes I understand that it is across
> experiments that a given probe should follow a normal distribution, but if
> this is true shouldn't the population of those probes similarly follow a
> normal distribution in turn, or not necessarily.

No, this does not follow at all, nor it is needed.  Standard microarray
analysis methods (eg limma package) make no assumptions at all about the
distribution of intensities over all probes.

You should however be checking whether you are using the best possible
background correction and preprocessing methods.

> I am concern that because of this overall bimodal distribution of the
> population of probes for a given sample (but that happens for every
> sample) the probes may follow a bimodal distribution themselves.

No, there is no such implication.  The within probe (over samples for each
probe) and between probe (over probes for each sample) distributions are
almost unrelated.

> I noticed that for other microarray experiments in the same (Nimblegen)
> and other platforms (Affymetrix) the distribution of probes within every
> sample follow a normal or normal-like distribution.

No they don't.  The popular RMA algorithm for Affymetrix data, for
example, assumes that the distribution of intensities for each probe
approximately follows an exponential distribution, and that is not
normal-like.

Best wishes
Gordon

BTW. This is not the right list for this sort of question.  You should be
mailing to the main Bioconductor list.